Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Predictions, Part I

I hate to go with the pack on this one, but I pick Brazil to win the Cup, despite their less than impressive performance against Croatia yesterday. I mean come on, with players like Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu, and Kaka (hee hee), how can they not be favoured?

My dark horse prediction may startle some of you, given the tough group they drew, but I pick Australia as the underdog that could actually take the World Cup trophy home with them when it is all said and done. The quality of Mark Viduka and Tim Cahill is evident, but Australia's biggest weapon is their coach, that nasty Dutchman that I love to hate, Guus Hiddink. The guy is brilliant, and he somehow wrings performances out of teams under his iron fist that are well above and beyond what the team should be capable of; to wit: Korea in the 2002 World Cup.

I have spoken. There may yet be egg on my face, but if my predictions hold any water at all, at least they will be recorded here for me to brag about later! :)

No comments: