Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Well, it's a Step up from Iron Meg and Hank

I just received my first email from William and Mary's new president, Gene Nichol, announcing that none other than Sandra Day O'Connor will succeed Henry Kissinger as our new Chancellor. Oh my.

But when I stop and think about this, I am actually not as angry as I thought I was. True, O'Connor was a Republican appointee, but on the other hand, I would not call her a conservative idealogue by any stretch of the imagination. While I do not agree with her on several of her major Supreme Court rulings, I cannot deny that she has been a moderate, reasonable jurist and served our country well. And compared to the last two Chancellors (Kissenger and Thatcher), she is Mother Freakin' Theresa.

So I guess my final opinion is: we could have done much worse. I will just have to wait and see how O'Connor handles her Chancellorship. Good luck, Sandra!

Note: this entry was cross-posted from Politics Schmolitics

No comments: