Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Earthquake Post

The ground is shaking while I type this!

Details to follow, but it feels about the same as the last one.

Update 1: No news has hit Tokyo Broadcasting System's News i site yet, but I can tell you about our "earthquake detector". Lyani's brother Ivo and his family gave us a wind chime as a house-warming gift when we lived in Williamsburg. We have brought it with us from Williamsburg to Columbus, and now to Yokohama. Unfortunately, here in Yokohama, the wind never hits it hard enough to make it chime. However, when the earth starts a' quakin', the wind chime starts doing its thing. In fact, in tonight's earthquake, I heard the wind chime before I even noticed that the floor was moving under my feet. I guess I am starting to get used to earthquakes now. I did not even get nervous during this one, I just moved out from under the hanging lamp into the doorway, where nothing could fall on my head!

Update 2: Yahoo! News has a pretty meaty story on this quake: apparently it was a 6.3 on the Richter scale, so it was more powerful than the last one, but the epicentre was farther away from us, which is why it felt about the same. Again, no damage, no causalties. According to this TBS News i story (RealMedia video here), it looks like a JR East Shinkansen (the Bullet Train) was derailed, but the safety mechanism that was designed to keep the cars attached to the track in the event of a derailment worked. Hurrah for Japanese engineering!

No comments: